In 1880 The Australian Handbook and Almanac and Shippers’ and Importers’ Directory described Kangaroo Ground as follows:
KANGAROO GROUND is the name of a postal township in the county of Evelyn, and electoral and police district of Eltham. It lies 20 miles NE. of Melbourne, and is reached by coach, which runs daily, fare 4s. there are two hotels (Kangaroo Ground and Weller’s), a State School (No352), and a church (Presbyterian).
The district is a grazing and agricultural one, principally the latter, of very hilly character. It has a weekly newspaper, the Evelyn Observer. The population numbers about 250 persons, mostly small farmers and their families. Mining has been carried on to a small extent, but returns were very poor.